Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Well, I got my special Economic Stimulus check in the mail and had big plans for it....so naturally it went somewhere else. I went to a doctor's appt in Farmington with my two boys. It was just a quick check up. On the drive home up I-15 (which is under heavy construction) I see a fire hose in my lane. Yes, the kind of fire hose that is large and has lots of metal on it. Because of the construction, I had NO other lane to go in. So my Audi took it like a champ, but the front left tire did not. I knew my tire was struggling, but there was NO where for me to pull off. So I am limping the car along until there is an "opening." I take a few deep breaths as the semis go flying past me. I climb over to the passengers side to take a look at the tire. I thought it might be able to be repaired. WRONG. It had a golf ball size divot in it. NOT REPARABLE. I am not going to change a tire in a construction zone with my two babies in the car. So I called 911. I told the lady what happened and was sorry if this was not the number to call. She was so nice and said it was not a problem and someone would be there shortly to help. I called Chris crying-more of the shock that nothing else happened. Frankly, it could have been bad. So a Utah highway helper guy came and changed my tire so quick I just sat in the car with only one crying child-he was starving so it was warranted. After a huge hug to the stranger who helped me, Chris shows up and we drive to Burt Brother's to get it fixed. Lucky us, because I have an Audi(Chris is rolling his eyes at my sexy German car) I can't just change one, but two tires and the other two are really worn...so $550 dollars later and one economic stimulus check spent I have new tires AND helped out America. For some strange reason I don't feel even the least bit patriotic about it!!

6 comments:

TamBaum said...

Maybe you should set 911 on your speed dial. That totally sucks, the money down the drain and sitting on the side of the road.

Kelley Flint said...

Oh Mariah, what are the odds. At least this cop was good and helpful.

Trisha said...

I loved that you hugged a total stranger. Why does that not surprise me? And hallelujah for a good cop...it's about time!

Likely said...

That stinks. You did the right thing calling 911 though. Who in the world left that hose thing out??? Shouldn't they be paying the bill?

Martha said...

You crack me up...the stranger hugging, the spent check, the sexy German car, I love reading your stories. Sorry the money couldn't have gone somewhere else, but thank goodness you were all okay.

Camille said...

ry. i am so sorry. seriously though you totally make me laugh at anything. i LOVE it! i am so glad you were safe and the audi handled it so well and took one for the team. at least you got to spend your check in some form, mine went straight to savings, whats up with that??!! xoxo